Tuesday, March 30, 2010

This work is His work

Last week was the second time we taught the Restoration in Russian, and it was certainly a thrill. The week prior, Elder Zamora had spoken so well and conveyed most of the message while I really struggled to get through what I attempted to say. Last week, I felt the spirit guide my thoughts and the words came to me without nearly the same struggle. I feel that is in part to my preparation but also because Elder Zamora and I prayed, before entering the room, that the Lord would loosen our tongues and convey through us what he would have us teach. This work is His work. It's so much easier when we let Him guide us, even in Russian. Now, that's not to say that I said everything perfectly. I still butchered Russian. But the spirit carried the message I had to share.

The new district is interesting. I love the other two elders (Elder Hodson and Elder Winger) and my teachers (Bro. Morgan and Bro. Boyer) B. Boyer was my old teacher's (B. Savage) trainer in Vlad. So we were reading one day in class in Preach My Gospel (page 12) and the quote that struck me was President Lorenzo Snow's. "There is no mortal man that is so much interested in the success of an elder when he is preaching the gospel as the Lord that sent him to preach to the people who are the Lord's children." It showed me that God is interested in us. He is watching us and is ready to help us when we're in trouble or struggling. We just have to turn to Him and submit our will to His. He loves us so much. I'm coming to realize that more and more. I was reading several scriptures (one in John and another in Acts) that talk about the Godhead and the Father and how he is like our father in the flesh. I love praying to Him because I feel I can speak to Him in the same way I speak to you, Dad.

Lately, our teachers have been speaking almost all Russian, even when they teach us. And it's so hard to understand and follow sometimes. But it's so good to be "immersed" in it. Let me just tell you all that Russian is the hardest thing I have ever tried to tackle, and I feel so overwhelmed by it a lot of the time. But like I said earlier, I need to increase my faith and not worry about it because through the Lord, I can accomplish my task of sharing the gospel in the Russian language. Oh I love singing in Russian, by the way. In case I haven't mentioned already, Russian is the sweetest language to sing in (in my personal opinion). I'm beginning to memorize songs and even figure out the words and what they mean now since we sing so much here at the MTC.

I miss your food, Mom. I know I should be so thankful for all the food that is available to us here. But I can't help miss a good home cooked meal. Trust me, you'll hear more about this later when I get to Vlad. I've heard of some wonderful food that I'll get to eat there and some dishes that I'll be hesitant to try or like, but it will certainly be an experience. One is called (Holideeyets) that's kind of how it sounds. Anyways, it's like Fruit Jello but replace the jello with bone marrow and fat and fruit with pieces of meat. Sounds scrumptious right? Well anyways, I'm always glad to hear from you all and I'll try to write some more today and get letters in the mail asap. I love you all so much and I greatly appreciate your thoughts and prayers!

LOVE YOU ALL! CT. BYW