Monday, August 9, 2010

Six Months! Already?

Dear Fam,

Tomorrow marks the 6 month mark of my mission. Weird right? While the days have certainly not all gone by quickly, I'm surprised at how time can fly when you put your mind to the work and try to work hard. The usual post office we go to is still closed and the other one only has one computer, so I have to be quick again this week.

This last week was full of contacting. Lots and lots of contacting. While sometimes, it's really hard to just push myself and get out there and start talking to people, when I just start doing it, I remind myself how much the Gospel of Jesus Christ has changed my life. And that's why I'm here. I want the people of Russia to feel that too. We had Zone Conference in Vlad last Wednesday and it was a great meeting. I loved the instruction. The church is actually changing the curriculum on how they train missionaries in the MTC, which will go into effect starting next May. So they're starting to show us missionaries in the field this training, so we can be running with it by the time newer missionaries get here. Preach My Gospel is still most definitely the focus but the way things are presented and taught is changing. It's all geared toward making us better teachers.

My talk yesterday was interesting. I got really nervous before going up to speak. The butterflies were going nuts in my stomach. But then as I got up, I looked to President Pratt sitting on the stand and then turned to the podium and I felt calm and I began to speak. The words, although not perfect grammatically, came to me and I was able to speak about the scriptures. I didn't share half of what I wanted to share or say, but many people thanked me afterwards, and it helped me know the Spirit guided my words. I was able to say what the Lord wanted me to share and that's what matters most.

Many people compliment me on my Russian. I still feel it's horrible but I am getting better and I attribute that solely on the Lord and the prayers of every single person out there. I have so many people rooting for me and praying for me and I'm so thankful for it. I got several letters from people this last week (Fallon's package :) and later a letter, one from Mrs. Frapp, one from Grandma Gee, from Catherine Sandholtz, and from Chris Peterson, my FOL counselor. If there's any way they can read this through the Blog or if someone can find them on face book, please tell them how thankful I am for the encouragement. And tell Chris if you can find him on Face book congratulations with the marriage in a couple days. I knew he and Elise would be perfect for each other. :) Anyways, if not, don't worry about it.

Dad was wondering if I had received any packages. I'm so sorry! I totally kept forgetting to write about that! I got Grandma and Grandpa Bush's package the day before I went to Korea and tell them I was so grateful for it! The peanut butter was heavenly and the Twix... well I just plain and simple love Twix. :) They have Twix, Snickers and Kit Kats here in Russia, but they taste a little bit different.

To answer Grandpa Bush's question... What do I do on pday? Usually, we do our normal studying in the morning and then go to the post office to write home. Then we go to the grocery store and get food! Here in Usserisk, there is the biggest, awesomest grocery store I have ever seen in Russia! It's called 5+. Then we either get hair cuts (like I did last week) and do anything else we need to to prepare for the rest of the week, like buy stuff on the reenok (shopping area) like shopka's (Russian hats). :)



I love you all and I'm so grateful for all the blessings the Lord pours out on me. I'm so richly blessed. :) I love you all. :) You're in my prayers.

Love,
Elder Bush